Learning how to improve your attitude is a worthwhile goal as having a good attitude is one of the most important soft skills you can possess as an Administrative Professional and is definitely your key to success.
What is the Meaning of Attitude?
So what is the meaning of attitude? Attitude is a way of thinking or feeling about someone or something, typically one that is reflected in a person’s behavior (Oxford Dictionary). Your attitude to something is the way that you think and feel about it, especially when this shows in the way you behave .(Collinsdictionary.com).
Positive Attitude Examples
There are many benefits to positive thinking so maintaining a positive attitude at work, both in person and on the telephone, is very important in your role as an Administrative Professional. Being an Administrative Professional is a people-oriented profession and exhibiting so being positive is the key to your success in your job.
Do you need an attitude adjustment? Here are some examples on ways to improve your attitude now.
Make the choice to decide you like your job and do it well as you can control your attitude and make your work space a place where visitors and co-workers want to come.
- Smile while talking to your customers as your attitude isn’t just reflected in your tone of voice but also in the way you stand or sit and in your facial expressions. You’ll find that your attitude towards customers may influence your own behavior as it’s hard to hide a negative attitude.
- Be Friendly and courteous to all callers and visitors, not just the ones you know. Remember that you are representing your company and first impressions count.
- Display enthusiasm and you’ll be surprised at what a difference this makes, not only in your own attitude but of those around you.
- Try to reflect on your pleasant customer experiences through-out the day and not on the unpleasant, negative ones.
- If you encounter an assertive, angry, upset customer, don’t allow your attitude to slip and become negative. Take a moment to reflect on how this impacts your you and then make a choice to retain a positive attitude as this will make the rest of your day much happier.
- Maintain your sense of humor. If something isn’t going the way you would like, try to laugh at yourself and not take things too seriously.
- Develop good relationships with every employee in your organization and learn their roles.
- Keep motivated to providing excellent face-to-face customer service to everyone who calls or walks in the door.
- Put your best image forward. If you look and feel good, it will be reflected in your attitude.
Is maintaining a positive attitude easier said than done? Not necessarily. Experts agree that it is a choice you can make on a daily basis. While you may not have any control over many things that happen in life, you can, in fact, control your attitude by incorporating some positive choices into your daily work life. A positive attitude can be learned and is a valuable soft skill that employers are looking for today. To learn more about improving your attitude and other valuable soft skills, update your office skills by taking the course, Soft Skills for Administrative Professionals, a soft skills training course offered on officeskills.org.