Making changes to a document is a common everyday practice and the first step is to learn how to edit and move around in your document. In this tutorial you’ll learn how to edit text in a document by selecting text, inserting and deleting text, copying and pasting a phrase and moving a paragraph. Then you’ll replace one phrase with another throughout the entire document. You’ll also learn how to replace a word with a synonym, check the spelling and grammar of a document and use the Autocorrect feature.
Exercise files: You will need the community_start.docx Word File to work on this lesson.
You can select text using the white space or invisible area in the documents left margin called the selection area:
Before you can edit text in a document, you must first select the text you want to edit Note: To select an entire document, do one of the following: On the Home tab, in the Editing group, click Select, and then click Select All. Press Ctrl+A Move the pointer to the left of any text until it turns into a right-pointing arrow, and then triple-click.
Double Click on the Word Neighborhood under the heading “Purpose”
Click anywhere in the sentence beginning with “The District” while holding down the Ctrl key.
Triple click anywhere in the paragraph under the heading “Purpose”
Click at the beginning of the first paragraph under the heading “Purpose” and hold down the shift key and click at the end of the second paragraph.
Make your first selection by selecting the first paragraph under the Heading “Purpose”. Now hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and make your next selection by selecting the third paragraph as demonstrated below.
1. Select the item that you want to cut & paste (triple click the paragraph under the title “Purpose”)
2. Click the Home Tab > Clipboard Group and click the Cut command
3. Click the location where you want to paste. (Click after the second paragraph under the heading “Purpose”.
4. Go to the Home Tab > Clipboard Group and click the Paste Button
The clipboard is a handy tool to use when you cut, copy & paste as it stores the items that have been cut or copied from any of the office programs. You can then paste into the same document, other documents or other Office applications directly from the clipboard. You can paste an individual item by clicking on it in the Clipboard or you can paste all the items by clicking on the Paste All button. You can remove individual items from the clipboard or remove all items by clicking on the Clear All button.
1. Launch the clipboard by clicking the Clipboard Dialog Box Launcher
2. Select the text you want to cut or copy and click the cut or copy button on the Clipboard Group as in the previous exercise. You will see the item appear in the clipboard. Click the location where you want to paste the text Click the clipboard item you want to paste.
Register online with the Office Collaborative Online Classroom and get access to your course URL right away