Introduction to Computers, XP and Beginning MS Word
Upon successful completion of this lesson, students should be able to:
Understand the basics of a computer and What it does .
- Components of a Computer
- Input devices, System Unit, Output Devices and Storage Devices.
- Communication Devices
- Networks and the Internet
- Move around in Windows and the Windows Desktop
- Start an application Program
- File Management and Windows Explorer
Introduction to Microsoft Word.
- Start and quit Word
- Describe the Word window
- Enter text in a document and check spelling as you type
- Open, save and Print a document
- Format text and paragraphs and use Undo and redo command
- Insert clip art in a document
- Correct errors in a document and use Word's Help Feature
- Introduction and Course Overview. Discussion of course outline and grading policies.
- View the following demo tutorial - Computer Basics and Windows Explorer
- View the following demo tutorial - Windows XP
Practice Exercises from Book:
(Once you get your book, download exercise files here.)
- Apply Knowledge 1.1 - Autumn Fest Flyer Unformatted, page WD 63
- Lab 1 – Creating a Flyer with a Picture – page WD 67
- Lab 2 – Creating a Flyer with a Picture and Border, page WD 69
- Lab 3 – Creating a Flyer with a Picture & Resized Border Art –page WD 70
- Read chapter 1 – Essential Introduction to Computers, pages COM2 – COM 23.
- Do the Online Practice Test. Print and bring to class or upload for ecourse
- Chapter 1 of Word - Cases and Places 4 – Design and Create a Flyer that Advertises You (WD72)