Capsule wardrobes can help you get dressed quickly, save you money, closet space and even help boost your confidence. Capsule wardrobes are especially perfect for those who work in an office environment as the money you’ll save on business attire will be significant, yet how do you easily put one together? The folks at Betabrand have come up with 5 simple steps, shown in their courtesy infographic below, for creating a capsule wardrobe that won’t sacrifice your style or your pocket book.
- Start with cleaning your closet by sorting your clothes into piles such as currently love or wear, seasonal and other. Betabrand recommends donating or selling the “other” pile as the goal of a capsule wardrobe is to limit yourself to a small number of essential pieces that can be combined together to create many outfits
- So how do you decide what essential pieces to keep? Using the checklist in the infographic below, Betabrand suggests keeping just two to three items from each category such as tops, bottoms, shoes, accessories and other items such as dresses and jackets. Of course, some experimentation with colors and accessories will be required and most experts recommend starting with at least one neutral color such as black and working from there. Some great ideas on how to mix and match your favorite separates, especially those that work for the office, can be found here.
- Easier said than done? Then allow yourself to splurge slightly on one of your favorite clothing categories. It’s all about compromise but only do it once, Betabrand suggests.
- Did you know that just 27 pieces can build 100 outfits? Give it a try or do a trial run to see how you get along with the capsule wardrobe.
- Lastly reassess and rotate. It’s a good idea to set a reassess schedule to refine, edit or rotate your wardrobe.